How to Send Certified Mail
- To send certified mail, you’ll need a Certified Mail form, and a Return receipt. Please call University Print & Mail Services for these certified mail supplies.
- For proper mailing, place labels as follows.
- Peel the thin white strip from the top of the Certified mail form and place it in box 2 on the Return Receipt.
- For small envelopes, peel and place the Certified Mail Form at the top center of the envelope. Make sure to leave a 3.5 inch space at the top right corner for postage to be placed.
- Fill out the Certified Mail form with the delivery address.
- It’s very important to write in your school or department name inside the box titled “Official Use” using no initials.
- Next, address the front side of the return receipt with the recipient’s name and address in box 1.
- In Box 3, only check Certified mail.
- Next, address the backside of the return receipt with the return address.
- This will be mailed to the return address as a receipt after your certified mail has been delivered and signed by the recipient.
- Now, peel and place the return receipt on the backside of the envelope. And that’s it.
- For proper placement on large envelopes or packages, fill out the forms and the place the labels exactly the same way with one change in placement of the Return Receipt.
- Place the certified mail form at the top center with the Return Receipt directly below it.
- Here’s some examples of proper placement. Don’t have your certified mail sent back to you for incorrect label placement.
- When your certified mail is sent to the post office, the Certified Mail Receipt will be detached and stamped with the date it was received and processed.
- This receipt is filed at Print & Mail Services and stored for 8 years.
- The Return Receipt will be detached and mailed to the sender once the certified mail is delivered and signed by the recipient.
For questions please call University Print & Mail Services at 801-581-6171 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org